Friday, November 6, 2009

Curriculum development - when to begin...

I have been in the process of developing my rank requirements for Karate in my martial arts school.  I have the benefit and curse of not belonging to a ranking organization that demands particular criteria.  Although some days I think it would be nice to have that and others I remember what it was like.  The material I have been studying on education and other martial philosophies would dictate that the key is deciding where I want the curriculum to take each student.  What are my objectives for the sum of all lessons. 

Once I have this model or sum of all material in mind I can start to work backwards.  Making sure to balance each level with a good progression.  The problem I keep having is that I continue to do research and with each new book I find more paradigm shifting material.  This requires that I go back and re-evaluate the entire curriculum. 

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Well I have taken many single steps and I think it is time to just begin walking.  Even if I go the wrong direction at least I am making some progress.  I think the fear of failure has me stopping and going a lot.  So does that mean I should stop or go?  Well I have another quote.

"I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward." - Thomas Edison

This to me means that I have a better chance of success by failing then by standing still.  Cause at least failing is a way of eliminating practices that do not work.  Now I think the next step on that path is to start tracking the things that work and the things that don't.  What better place to leave those findings but here on this blog.  Hopefully others will benefit from my experience.  And perhaps even reduce their number of needed failures.