Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Importance of loss?

Loss is defined as: detriment, disadvantage, or deprivation from failure to keep, have, or get. We feel loss when we lose an object. We also feel loss when we lose a person. However, I think the feeling of loss is much more acute when we lose people as with things.

I have seen people lose houses and every possession they own in the world. I could see the loss in their faces. They were certainly not happy, perhaps even devastated. However, the look of loss was worse when people are lost. I remember when my father passed away and the feeling of loss was very strong. Much more than any single item I have ever misplaced or had stolen.

So what does that mean to us. If the sense of loss is greater between people then relationships must therefore be much more important to us in the long term. Remember as we approach the holiday season how much higher a priority our relationships must be over the things we might buy each other.