Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Update on my life

I have not been writing in some time.  I completed my Phase 3 class which is the second part of the classes needed to get my license as a private investigator.  Now I have to take the state test as my next step.  The test is going to be on November 16th in the morning.  Once I pass it I will need to come up with about $500 for the bond, PI license, Agency License, and other odds and ends.

I also need to come up with another $500 to get my process server license.  This is actually a higher priority than the PI license as with it I can start working immediately.  Once I have it I can earn the money I need for the other.

As for the PI work.  I have to build a clientele and I need to work with a mentor to get a little experience before I start taking my own contracts.  Plus I need about $4000 to $5000 in equipment to really get started.  I will need to invest in other equipment too but that can be done over time.

I applied for a small business loan but after three weeks of waiting and a few phone calls to get some feedback I still have not heard from my banker.  So, either something odd is going on or the guy wants to tell me "No" and just hasn't found the time to come tell me.  I am not sure.

I attended an OPIA (Oklahoma Private Investigators Association) meeting while in class last week and met some great guys.  I hope that one of those contacts will be my mentor.  I would like to shadow some people for a couple of runs before I get started.  I also need to sit down with my friend Clay and see what information he picked up in the Process Server class he took at C.O.P.S.  (Center of Professional Studies).  From what he said they had some really great information.

So much to do and so little time with which to do it.  Plus I plan on incorporating my business into an LLC and that means I also need to fix my articles of incorporation and get them filed with the state so that I can get that ball rolling too.  In order to get my Agency license I need to have the corporate filing done first.  Plus I need to have all the bonds issued in the company name.  Bonds are going to be in place of liability insurance for now and I have to have them by state law in order to get licenses.

At some point I also want to join the OPIA.  It would be a great organization to be a member of and provide me with some great contacts for when I start working.  I have a feeling that until I get away from my current employer I will need to use subcontractors to get some of my work done.  

It will take a lot of work for me to organize all this but it will be worth it.

Lastly, I need to start getting my name out to people.  I just don't want to put the cart before the horse.  I need to have all the licensing before I start accepting work.  but if I wait till I have my licensing I might be waiting longer to get the work and I will need to start working immediately.

Anyone know where I can scrounge up about $500?  Might take me as much as 6 months to pay it back but I will get it paid back in time.

Plan B is to wait till tax time and use what little money I get back from taxes to get started.  That will work fine but I sure don't like to wait.