Friday, November 12, 2010

The Way of Sanchin Kata by Kris Wilder


I have started studying the book "The Way of Sanchin Kata" by Kris Wilder this week.  It is a very interesting read and something of a bear to put into practice.  I also have the companion DVD but have not looked at it yet.  I have also gone over my notes from the seminar Kris presented back in 2009.  I really like the power generation effect that this study obviously builds.  It is very different from what I have learned from of my instructors here in Oklahoma.

Further, the other Goju Ryu schools in the area don't get into anywhere near this level of detail on this kata.  At least not in my experience.  That is not to say that they can not.  I don't know if they can but I have certainly not seen it.

My secondary reason for working on Sanchin Kata is that I really like a kata in Shotokan called Hangetsu.  In the Okinawan systems of Karate it is called Seisan.  Seisan finds its root in Sanchin like many other kata and I want to be better at it.  Seisan and Tensho and fascinating kata and I think they will be my preferred path to progress in my study of the martial arts.  Or at least one of the paths I am taking for now.