Where: Main Street Martial Arts, Collinsville, OK
When: December 18th, 09:00 to 12:00
Why: To bring martial artists together in order to present ideas and all grow from the experiences we each bring to the class.
How Much: $5. For now, this amount may go up in time but it will remain fairly cheap. My secondary hope is that when I have larger seminars I will have a strong base of martial artists that will attend.
On December 18th I am going to have the first meeting of the Martial Arts Study Group. My plan for these classes is to have an informal meeting where martial artists from any background and skill level can get together and train. I have several motivations behind this class. Here are some of them:
- An opportunity to work with students that cannot attend regular classes.
- A time and place for black belts to workout together, regardless of school or organizational affiliations.
- To raise the overall skill level of all martial artists in the community through cross training.
- To create a organization of martial artists that will give us a semi-regular opportunity to be social with others in the community.
- To share insights and concepts about the martial arts that not all of us may know.
- To clarify context based training.
- To fight burn out. Everyone needs to learn and grow to avoid becoming stagnant.
The material I plan to cover in class will be to demonstrate how the first move of each of the Heian Kata has a hidden component that can be used in self defense. Taking our natural responses to surprise and making them more effective.
If you want to see some of those kata they are listed in the Kata section of my website. Guinnmartialarts.com
If you want take a close look at the first three kata in particular.
Heian - Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yodan, and Godan.
I hope to see lots of people in class!