First, I am going to start with some accomplishments. After all, motivation also comes from looking back to see that success is possible no matter what anyone else tells us.
- Bachelors Degree - I have a degree in Management Information Systems from Northeastern State University.
- Third degree Black Belt - A few days after I started Karate my instructor asked me what I wanted to accomplish with their class. I looked at their rank and it was Nidan or second degree at the time. I told them I want a third degree. Since then (approximately 20 years ago) I have received a fourth degree in Karate and a fifth degree in Aikijutsu. More importantly I have praise from a few people I really respect in the martial arts. Rory Miller and Steve Taylor. Now they didn't say anything like, hey this guy is the best. Although I would like to hear that one day. They simply said "He gets it." That means more to me then anything.
- Buy a house - looking back it was probably not the best plan but all in all I think it worked out. I still have a house and it needs some work but it is home.
- Buy a car I want - Done! I bought a Mazda CX-7 back in June. I really cannot afford it. Honestly I think I over reacted to my new found freedom. Although I must say I love my car.
- Visit Japan! - as mentioned in my last post I found out a friend of mine is going to be going to Japan in 2011 and it made me realize I have always wanted to go. So I need to make this a priority for my life and I need to go. It may not be at the top of my list but it is on the list for certain.
- Pay off my bills - when I say my bills I don't mean the day to day stuff. I have three big loans. My mortgage, my car loan, and my student loans. I MUST get rid of these debts, I am tired of paying for them.
- Go to England - I want to go see everything and study the martial arts with Iain Abernethy and Al Peasland on their home turf.
- Go back to Seattle - I didn't get a chance to actually work out with Kris Wilder while I was in Seattle and I really want to go back and work with him some more. I am currently working through the "Sanchin Kata" book and DVD so that I don't waste his time.
- Publish my own books - I want to publish books on my Aikijutsu system. I want it to be a resource for my students and I would like to do a good enough job for others to look at it and say something like, "Hey! This isn't garbage." I would also like to get a work of fiction published too.
- See my kids accomplish their dreams - I love this quote: "Find something you love and you will never work a day in your life." -Samuel Clemens. I would like to see my kids doing something with their lives that makes them truly and totally happy and fulfilled. I would like for it to be productive and meaningful too but I am afraid if I put too many stipulations on this it will not happen. So I wish for the best for both of them. I also hope that if they decide to be part of a family of their own that they are happy and healthy.
- Go see, Ghost and Darkness - the two man eating lions from Tsavo Africa, currently on exhibit in Chicago. Supposedly killed and ate over 130 people back in the late 1800's before being killed.
- Visit the grave of Musashi - these are in no particular order but this is one thing I would really like to do.
- Attend a seminar with Patrick McCarthy - another martial artist that I would really like to work with some more. Being that he lives in Australia means I also want to go see the sights while I am there.
- Visit New Zealand - I don't care about the movie sets but I really want to see more of what appears to be some incredible countryside.
- Make a living out of being a Private Investigator/Process Server/Executive Security - I want to work for myself. I want to be successful in a field that has unlimited potential. I see these things as something I can really enjoy doing. Something I can tie into my life very well.
- Skydive - yes I know. I might not need to worry about the rest of the list if I do this but it sounds like a blast. I want to do it! I think Japan is first though...
- Get Healthy - I want to get my weight down to 210 at most. This is probably the easiest of the goals to be honest. However, I have really been dragging my feet working on it. The emotional side of this is fixed now I think and I have started losing weight. I will post my progress in time. Perhaps after the initial weight loss is proven not to be a fluke.