Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tshirts for charity

A good friend of mine is selling some great looking shirts to raise money for a program that he and his wife started in Uganda while working in the Peace Corp.  Here was Eric's first email with the details of why we need to sell shirts:

...I am writing with a query/request.  As most of you know, I served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Uganda for two years (2004 - 2006).  While I was there, I founded a martial arts group that Sarah and I eventually incorporated into our anti-HIV/AIDS life skills training program.  My top student in that group, Felex Forward, has continued to train in the martial arts and is also currently working as a primary school teacher in the country under which capacity he is trying to continue the joint life skills/martial arts program that we developed.  In addition, Sarah and I have been helping him with school fees to allow him to gain more education.  However, last month, Felex was told by the local government that they were going to demolish his house because the town had recently been promoted to a district capital and they wanted to "beautify" the neighborhood.  As such, he is in dire need of assistance.  I've been contemplating various fundraisers to help him, and based on their popularity, I thought that selling our "Ask me about my bruises" shirts might be a good way to go.  As such, I've redesigned them to make them popular to a broader audience.  Plus, I had an artist friend of mine come up with a new back image, which I think is pretty cool.  You don't need to take my word for it, though.  Check out the attached images.

On the front of the shirt

On the back of the shirt


I for one will be ordering at least one shirt.  I hope I can get more but if you can afford just one it will go a long way to helping Eric and ultimately his friend in Uganda.  Today I got another email from Eric with the details of how to order your shirt.  

Hello,

First, I just want to thank everyone for their positive responses.  Seems like maybe it wasn't such a crazy idea after all.

Anyway, on with the news.  We are up and running and ready to take orders.  Anyone interested in ordering a shirt just needs to email me at askmeaboutmybruises@gmail.com.
  There are two possible payment options - checks or Paypal.  Once someone contacts me with an order, we'll determine their payment preference, and if they choose Paypal, I'll then send them an email invoice with an embedded payment link.  Nice and simple.  Also, if anyone wants to make an additional donation, that can easily be included in either the check or the invoice.

Once again, thanks for all of your help in supporting this.  Now, we just need to get the word out and move some shirts.  I hope to put something up on Facebook soon, so feel free to share that, if you like, and let me know if you need any further info to include on websites, blogs, etc.

All the best,

Eric
 Good luck Eric, I hope you are able to do everything you want to do with this program.  God bless your continued efforts in Uganda.

Addendum:

I verified with Eric that the shirts are $20 each and that includes postage.  Send them an email to askmeaboutmybruises@gmail.com with the following information:
  • Size and Quantity of shirts (example - Size XXL Quantity 2)
  • Shipping Address
  • Pay by Check or pay by Paypal Invoice
If you have any questions contact me or post in comments here.

Thanks again!