Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Favorite Techniques and the Styles They Come From...

Sanchin Dachi
I have read a great many articles from various websites about why this and how that.  I have decided that I want to do something fun for a change.  I want to list some of my favorite techniques and the systems they come from in my years of training.  Keep in mind that this is from my experience and is therefore subjective.  I am in no way telling you that these are the best and what you do is bull.  Each person studying the martial arts or self defense or whatever needs to make the system theirs and these are some of the things I enjoy practicing.  

Shuto Uchi
First the name of the technique and then the style or styles where I received most of my training in them:


  • Mawashi Geri or Roundhouse kick using the shin as a point of contact - Muay Thai and Lua
    • Muay Thai - the kick comes around from the side and in the class I was in was usually aimed at the midpoint of the thigh.
    • Lua - the kick is performed differently, this kick instead of traveling a flat plane from the side into the target it travels up and into the target at an angle.  Using gravity to hold the person into the kick this is supposed to make the person getting kicked receive more of the kinetic energy of the kick. 
  • Shuto Uchi or Knife Hand Strike - Karate
    • OC - The chambered position of this technique is a technique all by itself.  Combining the two makes this technique very effective.
    • I like open hand strikes and this one is a good one.  I have dropped people with it a few times. 
      Uchi Kaiten Nage
  • Uchi Kaiten Nage or Inner rotary throw -Aikijutsu and Goshin Ryu Aikido
    • Example, move into a clinch with the opponent, wedge in and strike the side of the neck with a forearm.  Once the person struck is off balance from the strike keep pressing so that they do not recover.  Make a circle with the head to the opponent's hip opposite the direction of the initial hit.  
  • Moroude Uchi Uke or Double Inner Forearm Block - Goju Ryu Karate, Shotokan Karate
    • This is one of the first movements in Sanchin and it can be with hands open or closed depending the the application or style since other schools teach it as well.
    • The main reason I like this move is that I can feel a great deal of strength in it. 
  • Nami Ashi Geri or Returning Wave Kick - Shotokan Karate
    • This kick is one of my favorites.  It can be used as a very close kick to take a person's legs out from under them or to damage a target without having the distance needed for most normal kicks.  
    • Nami Ashi Geri



















    • This movement is the same as what you might see kicking a Hacky Sack.

These are just some of my favorites, there are plenty more but these are some of the things that stand out to me.  What are some of your favorite things about the martial arts?  Particular techniques you like, stances, punches, drills, anything?  Put a few of your favorites in comments if you have a moment.